4 cups white flour*
14 ounces buttermilk
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
(aka baking soda)
This recipe is best done with a dutch oven.
* Do NOT use self-rising, as it already contains baking powder and salt
* You can also sub out 2 cups of the white flour for wheat flour. It makes a darker bread and I personally like the flavor more.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Lightly grease and flour a dutch oven (I used a small LE Creuset with lid)
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour[s], salt, bicarbonate of soda) and sieve in a large bowl.
- Add the buttermilk a little at a time, while mixing, until you have a sticky dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead lightly (as too much will allow gas to escape).
- Place in your dutch oven and shape into a round flat shape.
- Cut a cross in the top of the dough
- Cover the pan and bake for 30 minutes
- Lower the oven to 350F, remove the cover, and bake an additional 15 minutes
- Cover the bread in a damp tea towel to help keep the bread moist and let cool.
- Enjoy a slice with butter or hazelnut/chocolate spread and a cup of coffee or tea!