SALTED CARAMEL BROWNIES
Lasts up to 2 weeks
Featured in this Recipe:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Heaped 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
8 ounces soft unsalted butter
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate*
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
PAN SIZE : 9 1/2 x 13 inches
* Both our Bittersweet Chocolate Bars and Drinking Chocolate work for this step
- Line a shallow bowl or pie pan with parchment (spray with oil just in case).
- Melt your sugar in a medium, dry saucepan over medium-high heat while stirring as needed to break up large chunks. You’re looking for a copper color and no solid pieces of sugar. (approx. 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, doing your best to incorporate the butter entirely.
- Stir in cream and salt.
- Return the saucepan to the stove over medium-high heat bringing it back to a simmer.
- Cook simmering caramel for a few more minutes.
- Pour the caramel out into shallow bowl or pie pan and transfer to your freezer.
- Freeze until solid, around 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line your brownie pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large heavy-based pan.
- In a bowl or large wide-mouthed measuring cup, beat the eggs with vanilla and sugar.
- Measure the flour and salt into another bowl.
- Once the chocolate mixture has melted, let it cool a bit before beating in the eggs and sugar.
- Add the salt and flour mixture as well, beating it to combine smoothly.
- Scrape a portion of the batter into the lined pan.
- Top with pieces of the hardened caramels.
- Cover with the remaining brownie batter.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, checking in after 20 minutes. You’re looking for the top to have dried to a paler brown speckle while the middle is still dark, dense and gooey
Variations: Dried Cherries, Peanuts, Brazil Nuts, Hazelnuts, Shredded Coconut, White Chocolate Chips… So many options!